University Medical Center and El Paso Children’s Hospital
- Worked to keep El Paso Children’s Hospital open by bringing EPCH under the wing of the El Paso County Hospital District (University Medical Center) while allowing it to maintain its own board and CEO.
- Strong supporter of UMC, many times leading the way and making tough decisions, especially when it comes to their tax rate and providing them with what they really need.
- Supported the building of University Medical Center Neighborhood Clinics and advocated heavily for the placement of clinic in Precinct 2.
Emergence Health Network
- Served as Vice-Chair of Emergence Health Network board as well as on statewide Texas Council for Community Centers board.
- Worked to reduce the stigma of mental illness through a robust media and outreach strategy.
- Worked to make EHN provider of mental health services within our county jail.
- EHN Created a 1 stop shop for veterans in the Northeast, through a grant from the Texas Veterans Commission.
- EHN is now partnering with other organizations, such as Centro San Vicente, to co-locate mental health care with primary healthcare.
- EHN teamed up with Senator Rodriguez and Rep. Joe Moody to draft and pass legislation to bring Mental Health First Aide training to our educational institutions.
- Led the push for strategic planning at EHN, which had never been done. Now, EHN has a list of goals and a roadmap as to how to achieve them.
- Spearheaded the creation of a Crisis Intervention Team within the El Paso Police Department.